General Class Fleet Composition

• What is your opinion on what ships to build as a fleeter? I have recently returned after being gone a decade or so, and perhaps some of my thinking is pretty dated (Though my thinking was different than most 10 years ago, too.).

I've always been a huge fan of Battlecruisers, and mostly disagree with the benefits of building fodder. I currently have zero fighters, and have no plans of building any at all. If I need fodder ships, I consider that to be cruisers. Fighters slow down my fleet significantly, and usually guarantee I will have losses, whereas in most cases a large capital ship fleet nets me 0 losses. Sure, fodder is hands down superior in certain engagements - The problem is that most of my engagements are not of that type. Clearly my opinion on this is probably not widely accepted, seeing as almost every fleet I have crashed since I've returned has consisted of heavy fodder (Which I have had no trouble beating with minimal losses, and usually no losses at all.).

But then with the changes to the bomber, and the new reaper, I am kind of on the fence on whether they are worth it or not. The reaper seems like an absolute monster, and is awesome against BCs, but I can send like 4.5 BCs for the same deut cost as a single one. And the reaper, though not exactly slow, is still pretty noticeably slower, especially once your speed is teched up high. Speed matters quite a bit to me, since a significant amount of my attacks have to be recalled because I didn't get there fast enough. It also opens up more ACS and ninja opportunities.

Admittedly, I'm not nearly high enough ranked to hang with the big boys yet, and feel free to flame my way of thinking. What are y'all thoughts on fleet comp as a raider/fleeter?

• depends on your uni.. but a nice balanced fleet should look like 10lf / 2 cruiser / 1bs / 1bc / 1dessie

Just get on a simulator and sim something like 100k LF and 5k BC vs 10k BC you will see that the fodder fleet has alot less loss and both fleet cost around the same amount of ress to build and is alot easier to build since metal for light fighters are alot easier to get than crys/deut for bcs

• That's my issue with fodder, though. When are you getting into even battles? And what about speed? When crashing fleets, speed is often the most important factor.

How often are you making hits on people, where the fleet comp is even enough that the fodder really helps you? I don't know about most people, but 99.9% of my hits are only done when I massively outgun the person, so is the fodder really necessary?

And when it comes to defense, fleet comp maybe matters .1% - fleetsaving is 99.9%. If I am relying on fleet comp for defenses purposes, as a fleeter, I am doomed to lose it.

That's my way of thinking on the matter, at least. Sooooo many reports that I see, every day, have so many unnecessary losses because they brought fodder, even though they massively outgun the person. If they had brought a fleet of BCs, it would have resulted in XXXX (-0), instead.

• In some battles yes fodders arent really nessecary but take for example a guy with 1kk probes youd be surprised how many battleships it would take to destroy it all and it counts as a fodder for your opponent so his bigger ships have more rounds to get to yours. Unless you have a massive advantage on the others in your uni like ou have 200k bcs and the others have 15-20k maybe then u dont have to rely on fodders but 95% of the time there are bigger fish than yourself around. I you use ships as defence you will get bashed with rips and lose it all the only ships than can be used as defence are rips themselves with a large amount of fodder defenses example 200k rl 100k ll 10k hl 3k plasmas and a hundred rips will be really hard to get through ( unless people around have 2k rips and higher

There are alot of better fleeters than myself that could help you tho im just talking with my fleeter experiences

• My biggest issue with fodder, is really the speed reduction. Being able to get in and out super fast, not only makes your hit more likely to succeed, but gives you more opportunities using phalanx, and probably even more important - you are much harder to phalanx crash, because your fleet is so darn fast!

One thing I was thinking that might make Reapers worthwhile to me, though, is for hitting people with heavy defenses. Not people that I am fleet crashing, mind you, but people who I am raiding for their resources alone (Gotta steal deut too, after all.). I really like that they have so much capacity, which means I can gnab resources in battles where the cargo ship losses would otherwise make it cost prohibitive.

• Just as a quick example, based on your scenario of 2k BC and 100k LF vs. 10k BC.

Instead, I gave the attacker 20k BC and 40% higher combat techs, to reflect a more realistic scenario. The attacker would not lose a SINGLE BC in this case. Certainly it's not an even fight, but as I said before - How often are you attacking people when the odds aren't majorly in your favor?

In fact, I even ran the sim with double the LF, so 200k LF and 2k BC vs 20k BC, and the attacker lost only 5 ships.

Sure, this is not exactly a typical fleet composition scenario. But I think it does reflect how overrated fodder is.

• I know in universe 1 (the oldest) I see a fair number of Battlecruiser fleets with cruiser fodder for non RIP crashes.

US Universe 1
    Played off-and-on since 2005

• I've been simulating Reapers against a lot of the turtles I've run across, and my findings have been that, as a raiding ship, they are only worthwhile for their cargo capacity.

Even against heavy plasmas, BCs have no problems obtaining 0 losses (Assuming you bring enough. But your deut costs will still be much less than Reapers.) But, assuming you are raiding for resources, then a mix of BCs/Reapers seems ideal. For this reason, I think I might build a few, as glorified cargo ships, essentially.

• BC’s are overpowered in my opinion.

I remember when battleships were used in the same way you are describing using reapers. I referred to them as “Angry Cargos”...

US Universe 1

• I just completed my largest fleet crash yet, and my force consisted of all BCs and BS. I'm building BS for moonshots, so I figure I might as well use them!

Their fleet was strong enough compared to mine that it was still a draw (I killed about 70% of their fleet.), but my losses were quite minimal nonetheless. I ran the sim with me having the equivalent cost of LF instead of the BS, and my losses were 4 times as much.

Now, ideally, I wouldn't even have the BS, and would have ample BC making the hit, but I am too new to the Uni for that yet (Soon!), and therefor the fodder would have meant an even greater loss ratio. But this really shows why I don't like fodder. Yes, I know it has its place - But in 99.9% of the hits I personally make, it would simply slow me down and get me more losses.

• I think BS’s are woefully underused. Their cargo capacity, speed and general durability make them an asset when raiding. Large numbers can deal with RIPs. If you need fodder, try Cr’s. They’ll waste enemy fodder, Will double as fodder themselves, and will likely be your fastest ship to boot.

US Universe 1

• What I like about BS, is they aren't so crystal heavy, cost no deut, and are as fast as a BC. I super duper love BCs, but damn do you deal with a lot of extra metal when building fleets of them. Though that usually just means more weapons/armor tech for me...

At this point, I haven't been hitting any fleets where I needed cruisers, but at some point I plan to build them as fodder, for sure. Interestingly, my BC/BS are faster than my cruisers, but that's only because I've been pushing Hyperspace Drive research like a mofo.

• Reapers has three advantages - Their incredible damage which benefits longer battles, their cargo capacity and their ability to harvest DF instantly.

You really don't want BS for MS because of their extra shields and deut cost, it's a small detail but the easy RF against LF makes them optimal for MS as 100 cruisers easily take on 900+ LF.

The problem with BS is their lack of RF, as previously mentioned they have a hard time dealing with most targets except defense - which still is not optimal but leaves you with a non-RF against a non-RF comp. Which atleast isn't disadvantageous.

xZjonhe.jpg

Somewhat likable, very disturbed :modo:

• The main problem with BS is they get obliterated by BC, which are not exactly uncommon.

But they have good structural integrity for the cost, so they can survive pretty decently.

They are not my favorite ship, but they are cost friendly, and can have little to no losses when in great numbers, and are just as fast as a BC, with more cargo capacity.

• If bombers had more cargo capacity, I'd very seriously consider them for raiding. It has always baffled me that they don't have more cargo capacity than other warships, when it only makes sense for them to.

The reason is probably that one ship shouldn't be doing everything. For raiding defenses you will want to use Battleships for their cargo and survivability mixed with Bombers for their RF against defense.

xZjonhe.jpg

• tbh if ur only probe and launching then yea "speed fleet" is all ur gonna use. dont bother with slow ships. im not gonna talk about raiding planets with defense as ive seen its already been addressed. but if u r good at locking fleets. then yea having the right fleet is a good idea.

HOFs:

too many to count

• Well, even lanxing fleets, speed can be super duper important.

And since pretty much everyone and their uncle builds mass LF (Even more so with the Discoverer debris field exploit.), cruisers are a wonderful counter, as your fodder. And obviously they are fast.

• Well, even lanxing fleets, speed can be super duper important.

And since pretty much everyone and their uncle builds mass LF (Even more so with the Discoverer debris field exploit.), cruisers are a wonderful counter, as your fodder. And obviously they are fast.

While speed is always important, lanxing can go both ways - if you catch something early you can have the freedom to choose what to send and therefor maximizing profit.

This whole fleet composition thing is really hard to explain, I feel i have a decent(not the best) grasp of it - but I fail miserably when trying to explain it to others.

Imagine the scenario of trying to take down a LF/BS/Bomber fleet with Cruisers + whatever - that would work. but as most people running with heavy numbers of cruisers also invest heavily in BC, you will take a huge loss. Fleet composition is more about the target than what is best overall.

The best fleet killing composition is without a doubt Cruiser+BC+Reapers, but that's also unrealistic to think you will only go up against one kind of fleet.

I don't even know if I make sense :D :lol:

xZjonhe.jpg