The Extortion of Academy

• I at first did not want to take sides on this war because I knew both contenders but now I am supporting Slideshow's side. After speaking with Disaster about this, the whole argument got nowhere. ACADEMY has a new leader, goes by the name Slideshow. Slideshow was not given enough time to prove himself to change the image ACADEMY was given. This saddens me because I was in his situation although my alliance was dumped on me while he was given it. Regardless, the struggle on what I had to go through to get JNR to the top took a while, new players, old ones. But I digress. AK has really shown that even if your alliance has rules that you follow willingly, that AK will come after you because you follow those rules. For example, trading deuterium to the higher players. If ACADEMY's lower ranked members were having issues with their larger ranked players doing their practices, then they could have easily left. Its not hard to leave an alliance if you dont like the way its being run. But here is the thing, is it the right of AK to decide who trades with who? Since when did anyone give AK the power to do that? Oh because they are the TOP RANKED PLAYERS in the galaxy, that's why. I never trade with anyone anymore. Want to know why? Because if I trade with that person, their alliance mate can easily steal those resources from you in a flash, especially if you stepped away because an unavoidable issue occurred. So imagine AK doing the same thing. What makes you think that if you follow their rules, you are 100% protected. You are protected from everything but a spy and fly from my friend in the SAME alliance. If thats the case, I would never trade. Wouldn't want my resources to curve back into the hands of the same alliance that wanted to trade with me. Its like trade an axe for food and then that person's friend takes the ax, kills you, and then walks away knowing you have a profit. I only trade WITHIN the walls of the alliance I inhabit because they are not going to have someone in the alliance attack me after I have received the resources. Second, I believe that the average of 11 planets per ACADEMY player is a joke. After counting them, including those who have indeed left, would be an average of 9.35 planets. Knocking off the .35 is 9 planets. You can laugh at how two planets can make a difference but if you simply mine without raiding, I am sure that your quota cannot be reached by the end of the week. I speak out to those alliances who are standing by and watching this. Realize this, the freedom of trade no longer exists in Io. You will eventually be marked by AK if you merch the deut you received in a trade. I will no longer stand for this and thus, I will no longer play Io. I refuse to play in a universe where the ability to trade freely is threatened by a deuterium-hungry government and I recommend others follow suit.

• I don't see AK as an oppressive regime. AK is offering the same 2.5/1.5/1 legal trade rate everyone accepts, anyway. It is a reasonable demand to a war that Academy accepted.

The thing with rules is that rules have a place in common law for good order and conduct. In a game of war, rules beyond standard Terms and Conditions get in the way of the kind of environment the players may chose to create. I, for one, am excited to see what AK's soon to be established umbrella organization will be like. I'd like to think of it as knowing who my trading partners will be so I won't have deuterium sitting idly by while I could be improving my mines for further growth and expansion. SO. I would rather have a planned society than a "free society" because it promotes a player-based culture. It's a sandbox reality that we have the individual ability to muscle and play in. :pump:

• I read this but all I saw was a player who isn't in either alliance.
    Oh wait, weren't you in AK with a gifted acc before getting crashed for the umpteenth time (in this and other Unis)?
    Less modding/yapping/excuses about real life getting in the way of Ocrack and more playing/fs'ing, brah.

Have a cookie.

P.S. On-topic: yes, this extortion you speak of is an example of bruteforce powerplay at work. No one's denied it.
    Edit: Waits for shoot2thrill (yep, I can see him about to add a post) for yet more butthurt hilarity. Crack open a beer, folks.

• You drone on about this "your allies would hit me on spy and flyyyy wahhhhhh" Would you rather someone else hit you on spy and fly? I missed you the other night by about 5 minutes after you were idle for 2 hours+. The very next night Hellraiser hit you. Does it matter? Wouldn't you rather have the resources in the hands of someone you know and maybe like a little more than someone unknown or who you don't like? I mean seriously, you are basically saying that poor play should not be punished... that's all I'm reading. "Selling deut should afford me the privilege of not fleetsaving" No. :censor: No. The only people who don't have to fleetsave are those who have built their accounts successfuly to the point that they are no longer crashable And haven't been crashed 10-20 times on the way to that point *cough cough* All big fleets need deut, simple fact of the game. All we are doing through this glorious crusade is re-allocating the deut away from the grubby hands of greedy miners and putting the deut Where it is intended to go, into our engines, into our shipyards.

:bday: Thanks Disaster for the sig :bday:

Hofs: More than you
    Advanced: A Lot More than you
    Super Advanced: More than you, but especially more than Frat :beer:
    But not as many as the number of times SRI has been top 10'd
    :rofl:
    Rips Crashed: More than DegO :thumbsup:

• I refuse to play in a universe where the ability to trade freely is threatened by a deuterium-hungry government and I recommend others follow suit.

Agreed. I will be abandoning my top 20 Io account that I've spent 2 years making with over $100 of unspent dark matter. It was fun while it lasted :)

• Cool story bro, you cut yourself after you wrote that?

Do you understand the definition of a Spy and Fly SWK? If you are a duet trader of ours according to the terms we've set, you will never get hit by us unless you're, you know, sitting idle for multiple hours like you tend to do. We're not MDing you, we're not timing back your hits. You leave fleet sitting, it's gonna get hit. There's a reason the last remaining dangerous fleet outside of AK pops in and out of vmode, he knows if he just FS's instead that we're gonna pop all his moons and get him. So stop the BS that we're gonna do a trade then "crash" our res back, the whole purpose of this is to get a steady supply of duet. Why the hell would we knock of the people we just want fair trades with?

Just give us the duet, you will only benefit :borg: .

Just give us the d00t and nobody gets hurt.

• This benefits you guys, do think that you are helping us. I am one of the guys who took the deal because I wish to continue playing the account. You are correct you are the biggest and you can demand this, but do not kid yourself that you are good guys.

• SWK,

Now, I have some friends and kindred spirits in AK, but I don't play this Uni at all. This is my two cents.

This is a war game. Might makes right. AK is the strongest so they can impose whatever rules they want. If people organized against them, then maybe they could have some results. But instead they complain like you. AK is doing what best benefits themselves, which is to get deut to fuel thier absurdly large fleets. You cannot blame them for doing that. You shouldnt blame them for how they are doing so either. They are setting up a galaxy wide framework and imposing their will. Its impressive to watch.

So if you want to vmode, then vmode. Its understandable. But dont cry about some alliance doing what benefits itself.

Thank you Disaster for the awesome sig!

• DarkWing you're not wrong. But keep this in mind as well, I sell my deut to the same guys for the same rate. Also after I saw your fleet g2 I was considering trying a few moons to see if I could catch you, but now I've contacted you in game and offered support instead.

You might have been bullied into a deal, but no one else will bully you :p take the deal and be responsible for your FS and AK won't be so bad as we seem right now.

I make signatures

• AK is at war with the alliances code of conduct. Sounds kinda similar to most wars in the modern era. America constantly sticks their nose into the dealings of other nations ether it be with-in their nation or dealing with other nations. We dislike trades ending in duet being sent to the merc. Any alliance that supports this behavior EXPECT FLEETERS TO BE OUTRAGED.

Thanks Disaster
    Uni1.us Retired Rank 65
    Io.us Active Rank 15
    Sirius.us Active Rank 8
    2 time S&D MDing chump 34 moons killed for lols.

• All I know is, I've been sitting on this deut for days. I've contacted two members of AK, and no one has gotten back to me. What's up with that?

• Just a heads up, keep the trolling to the minimum or I'll be forced to start throwing warnings out.

As for the America comment... We're just after oil;)

Sig by Myself