Fleeing threshold, noob protection and player retention

• Would increasing the point threshold for fleets to flee help universes last longer?

In the current environment the 500k limit is reached within days if not hours of the universe starting. I would like to make the argument that if that value was increased to 5 million we could make an environment that is more accessible for players who dont buy as much DM to push up the ranks. The fleeing ability only stops players from sending "overkill" really, but if it is increased to 5 million then maybe that would help buy some time for players who are newer to the game. It may also help players from feeling like they have no hope of defending themselves from players 100x their score. Hand-in-hand with the fleeing threshold is the newbie protection. If the allowable space between the protection and the stronger players was decreased, I think this may also help promote an environment where players stick around for longer. This is all in an effort to keep players around longer and limit the "harvesting" of the bottom rung players by those who sit at the top.

Has this been discussed previously?

Do you think this would work or help the culture of ogame?

U6.org Retiree.
    Noobin around in a universe near you...

• i personally dont think that will help much. the new tutorial ogame released for new players gets things moving. way better than what i had starting out. i got my fleet crashed over and over again until i learned the value of a fleet save and how to properly do it. i think getting crashed early on is a good training point.

as far as the ones who sit at the top vs the bottom conversation. it used to be the top players would mentor the newer guys and encourage and comment on combat reports both for the winners and the losers. the community kept the game going. maybe we go back to mentoring newer players ingame. letting them our alliances. teaching and talking and making those bonds. an increase of noob protection doesnt offer that IMO. Just delays the inevitable. that increase in noob protection would just give them a bigger fish instead of teaching them how to fish. or something like that lol

Ehe3AUU.jpg
    Thanks DISASTER for the awesome Sig!

• i personally dont think that will help much. the new tutorial ogame released for new players gets things moving. way better than what i had starting out. i got my fleet crashed over and over again until i learned the value of a fleet save and how to properly do it. i think getting crashed early on is a good training point.

as far as the ones who sit at the top vs the bottom conversation. it used to be the top players would mentor the newer guys and encourage and comment on combat reports both for the winners and the losers. the community kept the game going. maybe we go back to mentoring newer players ingame. letting them our alliances. teaching and talking and making those bonds. an increase of noob protection doesnt offer that IMO. Just delays the inevitable. that increase in noob protection would just give them a bigger fish instead of teaching them how to fish. or something like that lol

To be honest, I do think that would be good. I think even the long term players and/or more experienced would enjoy universes with some good competition and ones that may in turn keep a uni more active for much longer.

very good points.

and to your point, i do agree that is is up to the veterans to teach what we can. I try to send messages to new players when i notice them, not only to welcome them to the game or uni, but also to offer aid in the form of resources or knowledge.

I'm not sure what it would look like now with the low player counts, but i remember having enough players in an alliance that we would create a wing alliance for training and mentoring. I wonder if that is something we could workshop? Unfortunately a lot of players would rather take the piece of the pie available to them because they aren't sure when they will get fed again. Its for that reason that i suggested an increase to the protection threshold. I dont think we have enough players who will choose to not launch fleet and instead teach a player how to FS before they rage and quit.

U6.org Retiree.
    Noobin around in a universe near you...