What's the point of the general class?

• I've played in Dorado a whole lot with Collector class and really been enjoying the speed boost of the transporters. I started now in Fenrir with General class thinking that I was gonna be able to do really fast raids of people, but then I noticed and realized that none of the transporters has any speed boost with the general class. If the point of the General class is to raid people, you will never be able to plunder them with 100% speed boost because the transporters are slower than all other ships (except DS of course). Are you just supposed to crash people's fleet and take the wreckage? I don't get it.

• If you crash peoples fleet, you don't sent any cargo ships.

You crash fleet to make profit of the debri.

Attack ships fly much faster and recyclers are also much faster so you can collect debri easily.

Cargo ships slow your attack fleet down.

• Exactly!

And if you have a decent amount of losses on your own fleet from an attack, you get a % back as wreckage (similair like space dock).

Try playing like that and it will have more effect, when used properly ;)

• I can try. I'm probably gonna change to collector class again though, as I'm primarily looking for resources and less for fleets when I'm raiding people. Also I like the mining and cargo space boost it gives you and it will probably suit my playstyle better. Thanks for the info! :squint:

• I've not tried it, but I've never been a huge fan of expeditions. Maybe because it mostly has just gone bad the times I've done it :P For me the bonuses for collector or general outweigh the ones of discoverer. Research time doesn't matter to me, 75% loot from inactive players can just be done by plundering the same player twice, and expedition bonuses doesn't speak much to me either. I might be overlooking it though, if the expedition bonuses are really good. :)

• It is really good ;)

Currently the most profitable class, if you keep doing expeditions ofcourse.

Try playing with this calculator: http://mviv.hebergratuit.net/expe71_prod.htm?i=3

Set the points for the nr1 in the uni, the eco speed of the uni and class to discoverer.

Try sending lets say 10 small cargo and 1 heavy fighter.

At the top you can see how much recources (read metal) you can find at max. Crystal I believe is 2/3 and deut 1/3 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

• Nice page, really gives you a good insight into the potential rewards you can get :) However I'm still leaning towards collector, I can always do expeditions with that class too just with a bit smaller reward. I might try out discoverer in a future universe :saint:

• Discoverer is truly the most powerful class overall if you understand how to fully take advantage of it. The base rewards as seen above are really good, but you can also take advantage of the Pirate/Alien combat encounters for absurd profit gains that keep scaling up as you send more ships.

These two links go into that a bit further:

https://board.en.ogame.gamefor…rom-the-french-community/

https://board.en.ogame.gamefor…a-22-057-219-00/&pageNo=1

Looking at that 2nd link, that is someone sending ~2.4m LF and 1m LC and netting 2.4b Metal and 1.6b Crystal from one pirate encounter. Shows how well this scales up.

For me on Wezn, I've been sending 300k LF, 100k SC, 1 PF, 1 Reaper, and a Probe on each expedition. Between combats and res finds, I'm seeing upwards of 500m-1b res per day from Expedition. With most of that res coming from the combats. And I have the potential to expand that even more by building more LF and SC to increase the profit from any alien/pirate encounters.

--------

I have M39/C32/D36-37 mines. Collector would net me ~220m metal, 70m crystal, and 110m Deut per week. With Discoverer and these Pirate/Alien encounters, I net 70-100m Metal and 30-50m Crystal per Pirate/Alien encounter. So just 2-3 Pirate/Alien encounters match or beat the Metal/Crystal that Collector would net me per week. And with me doing several expedition runs per day, I easily am matching the weekly Collector gain every single day.

• CasualSAB Damn, after reading all of that I might actually wanna try out the Discoverer class. Collector is tempting with the production boost and cargo speed (which I've found also helps when plundering players) but in the end the fact that you can get DF from expos is pretty huge.

• CasualSAB Damn, after reading all of that I might actually wanna try out the Discoverer class. Collector is tempting with the production boost and cargo speed (which I've found also helps when plundering players) but in the end the fact that you can get DF from expos is pretty huge.

Keep in mind that you can still get some of those Collector benefits by using the marketplace to buy crawlers off of other players. They'll only have a .02% buff per instead of .03%, but still, a really solid buff. For my 39/32/37 mine levels, still ~17% production boost from them.

And while the speed boost is certainly very nice, for me, the potential profit from those Alien/Pirate encounters far outweighs the potential of going after most other players on my server. But I am playing on a server (Wezn) that only has like 10 active players. Attached picture is a pirate encounter I just had, is crazy.

-----

I'll also say if you want to really expand your account, not really any other way to go. I started out as a Collector, then swapped to Discoverer in late December. Even without the combats was still more profitable than collector. But when I started doing the combats around Feb, started to see explosive growth. Especially dumping the res from it into more ships to send to further increase profits. Went from ~89m points on March 15th to just over 100m earlier today. Would need insanely high mine levels for collector to compete with that.

• I took your advice and chose Discoverer :) Since I just started out in the new universe I don't think I'll be focusing much on the crawlers and satellites in a while, since they both take so much resources and are very vulnerable in this new universe. I'm thinking I'm gonna play pretty passively otherwise and eventually position my planets in the same system, for easy and fast resource distribution between them.

Mines 39/32/37 is very impressive btw :) I was super happy when I got my crystal mine to level 28 during my last playthrough

• As someone who have played as a fleeter as both General and Disco - There is literally no point to a General other than provide reapers for an alliance. Gameforge has utterly screwed up balance in this game to push class changes.

In less than 48 hours of playtime I already made over 2+mil res each of my expedition find, never have to build fleet because you get free ships constantly. In universes older than 1 month almost everyone has either picked or switched to Discoverer because it's meant to be impossible to catch up to this class.

General is basically what you would pay to switch to during a prolonged war and discover is then what you switch back to to build up your account - nevermind the 500k DM cost :lol:

xZjonhe.jpg

Somewhat likable, very disturbed :modo:

• adding to the comment by Disturbance,

rapers are new form of duet to keep you safe.

you're unique

here's my way of classifying classes

collector - for lazy

general - for vm warriors

discoverer - for ocrackers

general is good in a uni with tons of active ppl, i'd say 200+ active players, which i don't think it exist in .us community as all unis kinda die out after first few months.

After playing all 3, i personally prefer collector as i'm lazy guy who have luv for cargos the most.

BUt i do agree that you cannot compete with active discvoerer with other classes, even if you put more time and effort into it.

ogame-sig.png

• general is good in a uni with tons of active ppl, i'd say 200+ active players, which i don't think it exist in .us community as all unis kinda die out after first few months.

I can blame that on GameForge, they release new universes so fast that people who are not on top, just give up and go for the new ones.

• I can blame that on GameForge, they release new universes so fast that people who are not on top, just give up and go for the new ones.

If people stopped joining new universes, they'd probably stop pushing them out so fast. Just saying... :beer:

firma-2.jpg

~Thank you to my sig artist, fulmine0_1~

• I will say what i think i agree that disc. is way to powerful atm. but that is in us servers. and late game for sure ... with battle p/a stuff but in early stage with active uni that i tried in fr. server with 12k ppl inside general rules ... the wreck field you gain fast ships and recy in start gives you massive boost... so you will be miles ahead of disc. class but as times pass disc. will catch you up ... due to lack of targets and stuffs like that ... so tbh it goes like this ..
    If uni is full of ppl ..
    General
    Discoverer
    Collector
    if uni is below 1k ppl
    Discoverer
    Collector
    General
    i think this is the right one ...

The last transmission we received from the expedition fleet was this magnificent picture of the opening of a black hole.

We All GoT Left Behind !

• Eventually there will be a switch, however, the general is a class which is only profitable if you are a more skilled player imo. In a x6 speed uni, you fly to others in the same system within 4 minutes. If you are general, even faster. So with enough skills / time on your hands you are easily able to crash many expo fleets, but you need to make it work. Whereas the disc. class is simply sending away ships once every hour with massive results.