Nickname of a Dictator is allowed ?

• Hi

Nickname of a Dictator is allowed ?

On Yildun, someone has Mao Nickname.

Do you know who is Mao ?

I have a warning because i say : You are noob.

But we can take a dictator nickname.

They are all allowed ?

Hitler ?

Mussolini ?

It's a shame.

• It's a shame. Also, I have just learned that someone can create a fake alliance with an existing alliance name in a universe. It is obvious that there is a huge hole in the rules about names in the game. It should be considered immediately.

• Mao just send me a message to say ;

He is an ex Staff member and his nickname is allowed by Coma :thumbdown:

Prongs are you agree with that ?

It's just a shame.

Watch this Prongs maybe you will change your idea

Damn i am Maths and History teacher

• This isn't an easy question to answer, and censoring player names is a slippery slope, because as soon as you begin to disallow one type of name, such as the names of dictators, then someone will complain about the use of "devil" as a player name, for example. That results in having to address any names related to the devil and/or religion. Then suppose someone is offended by references to witchcraft, and then all of a sudden, even innocuous names from something like Harry Potter would need to be addressed. And it just snowballs from there.

We handle all reports of offensive names on a case-by-case basis. We consider the behavior of the account as well as just the name, when making a determination of whether or not it needs to be changed. There is a precedence of not allowing photos of the dictators as avatars on the boards, but generally speaking it's not not permitted to use the name of a dictator as your player name. Of course, if you're breaking other rules, then all things are taken into consideration.

I hope that helps - it's not an easy situation, for sure. Would I prefer that they not be used at all? Sure...but I can't require it.

firma-2.jpg

~Thank you to my sig artist, fulmine0_1~

• It's not "NOT PERMITTED". You can use them, we handle all reports of them on a case-by-case basis, and look at all behaviors, as I said...

firma-2.jpg

• Also, I have just learned that someone can create a fake alliance with an existing alliance name in a universe. It is obvious that there is a huge hole in the rules about names in the game. It should be considered immediately.

Well, here's the thing. You don't have a trademark on your alliance name when you use it; anyone is permitted to use any alliance name or player name that they wish, as long as other rules are not being broken in doing so. Even we as staff members don't have exclusive rights to our names, and we have occasionally run into situations where someone else in the universe already has our name.

If that alliance is breaking rules, please report it and we'll handle it, but so far all I've seen is the alliance itself.

firma-2.jpg

• I should add.. the only reason Hitler, and Nazi references are forbidden by GF is down to very strict German Laws regarding them.

I don't believe names of other dictators from around the world / history are treated the same under that Law.

Anything else worth adding has already been covered well by Queenie.

Ghost of Ogame Past

• :closed::closed::closed::closed::closed::closed::closed::closed:

[ex-team] kewlness i closed this thread for you!

:hmm:

I'm pretty sure Queen Leo can close this thread without my intervention should it be necessary.

However, we appreciate the feedback.

Why would some names be allowed and others not?

Let us go through some examples...

Would the name Hitler be allowed?

No.

There are just too many things associated with that name that it would just not be allowed.

The odds of offending somebody are too great as many of us knew parents or grandparents who lived during World War 2.

Would the name Napoleon be allowed?

Most likely, though one could argue he was a military dictator.

Again, the conduct of the account would also be a determining factor.

However, the likelihood somebody will know anybody who lived during the Napoleonic era are going to be rather slim.

Like Queen Leo said, these are taken on a case by case basis.

And yes, Mao's name is allowed as it has been for well over a decade now.

• For me Mao is worst than Hitler.

All I can do is : Attack this fan of Mao.

And teach him History.

• Lets clarified things.
    My nickname has nothing to do with Tze Dong, that is mentioned somewhere?

In China, Hong Kong and Taiwan are millions of people named Mao, so what suppose they have to do, someone can force them to change their name?!

Or worse, even kill them all?

I have nothing more to say. Have a good game everyone.

• Okay, I think we're done here. Question was asked and answered and now it's not headed to a good place.

firma-2.jpg