Easter Week! The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• @Gabriel
      well i'm a Christian as well, but one of those who do not really like Christmas, Easter and those stuff simply due to the origin of it.
      (i do like the idea of picking a day to remember those events, but not in a fan of celebrating other religion's special days, like easter bunny, Halloween(as only Catholics celebrate yet Protestants do not, even Christmas as the birth of Jesus was somewhere in warmer temperature like Spring/Summer according to historical/biblical evidence)

but just like SWK loves the thread, i do too but just going too far away from one topic, so that's why i suggested to open up new thread to make it more 'focused'.
      if you are not willing to do it, i shall open it up.

• dreamcatcher wrote:

Christmas as the birth of Jesus was somewhere in warmer temperature like Spring/Summer according to historical/biblical evidence

Reason was, early Christians were often literally crucified for their belief and the religion was practiced as an underground movement. They suffered much like @Gabriel is here.

As Christianity grew and the danger passed in the western world, the church began to get organized.

When the early Christian church designed the holy calendar of events they actually did not know all the exact dates. and having written documentation of these things was earlier forbidden. (See the dead sea scrolls where a large portion of the Old Testament of the bible was found hidden in a small cave near the dead sea for safe keeping and whoever put it there didn't make it back).

So, with other rival religions and thoughts around, and a desire to grow their own religion, the early Church decided to make the date of Christmas co-inside with a popular winter solstice festival at the time. They figured they didn't know the exact date, and that it would do no harm to select one, and what better time than when people were gathered around anyway...then they could spread their message of Jesus.

And can also agree that the modern version of Christmas and Easter are marked by a disappointing trend for retailers to commercialize these dates and capitalize as much as possible for them...really the antithesis of what these selected dates are supposed to signify.

I don't consider it a evil intended thing, business is business, and they are somewhat equal as they can be for other holidays. Halloween use to be a far simpler event, but now you see people buying candy by the bucket full and they push these elaborate robotic decorations for your yard. And there's no shortage of commercialized pushes to sell, sell,sell on Memorial day, Valentine's, President's day, July 4th, Mother's day and father's day. In recent years I've noticed they are even trying to rope in Kwanzaa, Ramadan, and Hanuka.

But anyway, I guess the commercialization thing is straying off topic.
    • Silverwind wrote:

dreamcatcher wrote:

Christmas as the birth of Jesus was somewhere in warmer temperature like Spring/Summer according to historical/biblical evidence
      Reason was, early Christians were often literally crucified for their belief and the religion was practiced as an underground movement. They suffered much like @Gabriel is here.

As Christianity grew and the danger passed in the western world, the church began to get organized.

When the early Christian church designed the holy calendar of events they actually did not know all the exact dates. and having written documentation of these things was earlier forbidden. (See the dead sea scrolls where a large portion of the Old Testament of the bible was found hidden in a small cave near the dead sea for safe keeping and whoever put it there didn't make it back).

So, with other rival religions and thoughts around, and a desire to grow their own religion, the early Church decided to make the date of Christmas co-inside with a popular winter solstice festival at the time. They figured they didn't know the exact date, and that it would do no harm to select one, and what better time than when people were gathered around anyway...then they could spread their message of Jesus.

And can also agree that the modern version of Christmas and Easter are marked by a disappointing trend for retailers to commercialize these dates and capitalize as much as possible for them...really the antithesis of what these selected dates are supposed to signify.

I don't consider it a evil intended thing, business is business, and they are somewhat equal as they can be for other holidays. Halloween use to be a far simpler event, but now you see people buying candy by the bucket full and they push these elaborate robotic decorations for your yard. And there's no shortage of commercialized pushes to sell, sell,sell on Memorial day, Valentine's, President's day, July 4th, Mother's day and father's day. In recent years I've noticed they are even trying to rope in Kwanzaa, Ramadan, and Hanuka.

But anyway, I guess the commercialization thing is straying off topic.

Yes, the reason for the deviation is neither commerce nor religion nor festivals, but a dual purpose. With certain themes as packaging, to achieve commercial purposes, it often seems to have different purposes from business.

Therefore, I think it is necessary to separate an area from modernism and return to the metaphysical philosophy of the Middle Ages. Although this may lead to a large number of paranoid people, paranoia is sometimes the beginning of serious thinking. Admittedly, most people are paranoid. People who seem not paranoid about this matter will be paranoid about other things, metaphysical and make people "normative" and "valuable" paranoid.

I really appreciate Trump, who shows some kind of paranoia on Twitter to everyone, makes his faith serve the majority, and invites everyone to participate in the practice and has the opportunity to practice his own paranoia. In the world of Aristotle in Greece and Paul in the Bible, it's fun to argue for a truth.

Industry and politics are so common that they stiffen people. We need something deep, like Tesla's "dead light". Or Hitler's "Clock of Death", oh, I hope you understand, is not to say that I like this thing, but it is clear that even bad people are pursuing everything beyond the world.

So I'm obsessed with religion, and people tend to think that my life is like a joke, but I firmly believe that behind this joke lies the truth. There is a Chinese saying, "You can't produce something from nothing." But 2000 years ago, Lao Tzu, an ancient Chinese philosopher, said, "Tao produce everything from nothing". His reason is very mysterious, he said that "nothing" is not "nihility", but another dimension of "had".

Optimus Prime's eyes are like blue stars and the universe. I just hope it doesn't just stay in the movies. Human beings can imagine all kinds of beauty, greatness and justice. I don't think it's accidental. Maybe these imaginations come from something beyond the world. Human beings do not exist for the present world. Therefore, it is worthwhile to tear apart modern culture to find something that cannot be captured by vision.

I'm Gabriel, a Catholic conservative, and a Thomist. I was born in a dangerous zone. Please pray for me. I will always remember what Jesus said. “Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me. ” ( John 14:6 )

The post was edited 6 times, last by Gabriel ().

• Gabriel wrote:

Although this may lead to a large number of paranoid people, paranoia is sometimes the beginning of serious thinking. Admittedly, most people are paranoid.
      Well, to this I can say we live in very different worlds.

I feel paranoia is an unhealthy state, but understand you've probably lived in it for some time.

I'd submit that for a lot of flaws peopel say the United States has...I can say one of our great qualities is the general law abiding person has no need for paranoia here.

I wake up, get my kids off to school, go to work, do a job that I am blessed to have and enjoy, and come back to a nice home and enjoy hobbies and family. I can speak for or against our leaders, practice any religion I want, and generally speak out about anything I want as long as it isn't causing harm or calling for harm. If I don't deal illegal drugs, plan murder, overthrow of the government, arson, rape, or anything along those general lines I've pretty much not got to nothing to be paranoid about.

I rarely if even ever put my head down on the pillow at night feeling paranoid about anything. Worried sometimes about some "first world" problem? Sure,maybe...

And I hope that the words I've shared on this thread are somewhat meaningful, contemplative, and open for others and as well I hope I learn something from you guys (actually know I have already)...but I didn't arrive at a contemplative state about these matters because of a paranoid state of mind.

But I think maybe that might be a difference of where I am and where you are in the world.
    • dreamcatcher wrote:

created a new thread to talk about this in more.. enthusiasm.
      hope you two can join in :)

o, no! I don't want Queen Leo to be angry. She has tolerated me too much on similar topics. She was very happy with my speech before, but later she resented me. She is a leader, and I respect the leader of the board of directors.

I'm Gabriel, a Catholic conservative, and a Thomist. I was born in a dangerous zone. Please pray for me. I will always remember what Jesus said. “Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me. ” ( John 14:6 )
    • Silverwind wrote:

Gabriel wrote:

Although this may lead to a large number of paranoid people, paranoia is sometimes the beginning of serious thinking. Admittedly, most people are paranoid.
      Well, to this I can say we live in very different worlds.
      I feel paranoia is an unhealthy state, but understand you've probably lived in it for some time.

I'd submit that for a lot of flaws peopel say the United States has...I can say one of our great qualities is the general law abiding person has no need for paranoia here.

I wake up, get my kids off to school, go to work, do a job that I am blessed to have and enjoy, and come back to a nice home and enjoy hobbies and family. I can speak for or against our leaders, practice any religion I want, and generally speak out about anything I want as long as it isn't causing harm or calling for harm. If I don't deal illegal drugs, plan murder, overthrow of the government, arson, rape, or anything along those general lines I've pretty much not got to nothing to be paranoid about.

I rarely if even ever put my head down on the pillow at night feeling paranoid about anything. Worried sometimes about some "first world" problem? Sure,maybe...

Perhaps our understanding of paranoia is different. I don't think paranoia is "I'm right, you're wrong" or "Join me, or you'll be destroyed." It's weakness and fear of faith. I understand paranoia mainly for thinking, meaning "I'm serious, I'm serious about talking". The basis of debate is equality and freedom, otherwise it will be meaningless.

In ancient times, Greeks lived in city-states where they spoke and debated, so they invented rhetoric and talked. The reason why I think paranoia can be allowed to think is that "I adhere to the only belief, not pluralism, but I seriously face different voices, not avoidance." I think this is where the belief lies.

• Silverwind wrote:

Gabriel wrote:

o, no! I don't want Queen Leo to be angry. She has tolerated me too much on similar topics. She was very happy with my speech before, but later she resented me. She is a leader, and I respect the leader of the board of directors.
      @Queen Leo and @Andvari300 are very fair, I think you'll be okay as long as you stay within the framework of rules provided.

Hi, I believe the board is fair. In my country, I advocate Western civilization more than anyone else. I believe Aristotle can be my friend. Apart from the color of my skin, I am no different from the ancient Greeks. Despite my longing for the distant old age, I am like the bandaged man, who awoke by Jesus from the grave. Haha, your ancestors went through the ages of Greece and Rome, Charlemagne the Great and Spain. But I have to start from scratch. I just like a man of Japan, starting with brushing my teeth and wearing shoes.

• Ahh, wrong word I think. "Paranoia" means a person has unreasonable fears or exaggerated fears of persecution....so you see why I say for me, where I live, that isn't an issue. I could see that you might feel that way based on how you are treated where you are, at least according to what you've shared here.

I'm not sure the exact word you might mean in replacement for paranoia.

You're looking for those near you to have an open attitude and meaning like you've received here on this thread, perhaps? Enlightened? Receptive to new thoughts? IDK....

But I guess we've covered it...your intent originally was to give a well wish to those that would listen, and some understanding of your plight. It has certainly been a conversation of learning and understanding without a lot of negativity.

It makes me happy that our little community could share it. Maybe it shows that we all come from different beliefs and perceptions, but still can have a good conversation and appreciation of philosophical discussion over a subject so personnel.

And that's why we're a family of our own here....
    • Silverwind wrote:

Ahh, wrong word I think. "Paranoia" means a person has unreasonable fears or exaggerated fears of persecution....so you see why I say for me, where I live, that isn't an issue. I could see that you might feel that way based on how you are treated where you are, at least according to what you've shared here.

I'm not sure the exact word you might mean in replacement for paranoia.

You're looking for those near you to have an open attitude and meaning like you've received here on this thread, perhaps? Enlightened? Receptive to new thoughts? IDK....

But I guess we've covered it...your intent originally was to give a well wish to those that would listen, and some understanding of your plight. It has certainly been a conversation of learning and understanding without a lot of negativity.

It makes me happy that our little community could share it. Maybe it shows that we all come from different beliefs and perceptions, but still can have a good conversation and appreciation of philosophical discussion over a subject so personnel.

And that's why we're a family of our own here....

I know that the plight of China is not clear in a few words. My answer may not satisfy you. In fact, China did not have an open "ban on religion" order like the period of Emperor Nero of Rome or the period of "Toyotomi Hideyoshi" of Japan. If you go to find the "white paper" of China, it is obvious that it says freedom of religion and belief; if you do not come from the edge of Chinese society, it is difficult to understand how China is a country that insists that words are wrong and hearts are wrong.

I recommend you a book, <100 Years Marathon> or <100 Years Long-distance Running>. I don't know how to translate the name of this book in English. It probably means that. It describes the Chinese conspiracy in an all-round way. In Clinton's era, Americans believed that as long as China was given an international order, such as the WTO, China would gradually change and be called an international member. As you said, learn to be open, dialogue, equality and justice. But in fact, China has used all its technology to deceive and help its autocratic allies control humanity, just as it did in Venezuela. I know that you may hate political games, but I can only say that Trump is doing the right thing; the United States is not facing a trade contest, but a clash of civilizations, a conflict of justice and barbarism.

We know Hitler is a sinner, we know Stalin is a sinner, of course; but some people think Mao Zedong is a great man. Of course, Mao Zedong is great. He is a great cheater. He killed 40 million people in 1959-1962 last century. You may think I am alarmist. I don't want to explain. I just want to say that even before Jesus, I will insist that he is much darker than Hitler.

You are a good man, just like our Pope Francis. He always said that we should open up and dialogue and maintain respect for China. Yes, but the negotiations he pushed for in China have not actually progressed. Maybe no progress is needed, but this is another topic.

You are a good man. That's why I like America. Always be equal, open and optimistic. People who become your friends are lucky. I will pray for you. You are a good man. For the moment, I will try my best to go to America, just like Abraham fled Sodom. and i will became a Calmero or Dominican monk. This is my dream. Thank you very much for your communication.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gabriel ().

• Gabriel wrote:

You are a good man.
      LOL, I don't know about all that, but I do try and adhere to a positive outcome.

Gabriel wrote:

That's why I like America. Always be equal, open and optimistic.
      It's a fantastic place. Always equal? ehh..depends on where you go, who you are I think, we still struggle in some areas with this. But the better part of that is we are able to, and slowly I think it changes for the better. . . but an ideal "equal" is still on down the road a little ways. I think we'll get there as long as we try and get there...if you follow my meaning.

As for you, @Gabriel I hope you can make that dream come true and find the freedom you are looking for.