Board closure

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

  • The main issue in this case is not about the hacker or the victim, it's about the lack of transparency demonstrated by Gameforge. The fact that Grimnir still hasn't shown any interest in appearing in this thread to actually meet his user base is beyond me.

    Yes the hack happened, yes it could be said that it was poorly managed the first time since someone managed to do it twice in a row. Yeah everyone feels bad about the victim where it all started.

    The concern right now is that noone has gotten any response or direct feedback from Gameforge other then a poorly formulated "excuse" where they chose to hide some facts.

    No it wasnt just usernames and email-adresses leaked, there were specific ip-adresses and names of many individuals (Like pointed out, a lot of players have their names in the email adress). Gameforge actively chose to undermine the situation and "smooth over it"

    This is serious and not something you just broadcast on a general message on a board. Noone has gotten any type of personal response about the data Breach, which GDPR regulations clearly states as a violation of it's own. That alone is grounds for large fines.

    The longer Grimnir choose to stand idle and let his group of volunteers take the punches right now, the worse it's gonna get. How can Gameforge reassure its user base that the leaked information in that email was ONLY sent to the people affected?
  • CorZor wrote:

    The main issue in this case is not about the hacker or the victim, it's about the lack of transparency demonstrated by Gameforge. The fact that Grimnir still hasn't shown any interest in appearing in this thread to actually meet his user base is beyond me.

    Yes the hack happened, yes it could be said that it was poorly managed the first time since someone managed to do it twice in a row. Yeah everyone feels bad about the victim where it all started.

    The concern right now is that noone has gotten any response or direct feedback from Gameforge other then a poorly formulated "excuse" where they chose to hide some facts.

    No it wasnt just usernames and email-adresses leaked, there were specific ip-adresses and names of many individuals (Like pointed out, a lot of players have their names in the email adress). Gameforge actively chose to undermine the situation and "smooth over it"

    This is serious and not something you just broadcast on a general message on a board. Noone has gotten any type of personal response about the data Breach, which GDPR regulations clearly states as a violation of it's own. That alone is grounds for large fines.

    The longer Grimnir choose to stand idle and let his group of volunteers take the punches right now, the worse it's gonna get. How can Gameforge reassure its user base that the leaked information in that email was ONLY sent to the people affected?
    You do understand that CoMa's are unpaid interns at GF. He is busy getting coffee for everyone.
  • 99thIdiot wrote:

    But just to be absolutely sure: the board closure this weekend was entirely controlled by the proper authorities? My specific concern is that i goofed up when first finding the boards offline. When i clicked the link at the bottom of the game screen, i got a login prompt, and like an idiot (naturally ;) i entered my username and password. Then I pressed enter and nothing happened. So i pm Kar and he says "oh yeah there was a hack". Doh! I worried that the login prompt was from the hackers, and I had to comb through all my accounts see if used that password anywhere else. (Turns out i had used in two other places and changed it). As far as I can tell reading threads now, that non-functioning login prompt was entirely benign, and I needn't have worried over the weekend. I think on monday someone changed it to say clearly that the board was offline. I would preferred such a message right away, or even a 404 error, instead of plain dialog just harvesting passwords. But as far as I can tell from the threads here, it was harmless.
    The log in you saw was for System Admins. That was not part of the "hack" but rather a way for GF to log in while it was "offline"

    DELTA wrote:


    You do understand that CoMa's are unpaid interns at GF.
    This is untrue.


    Board Admin/ GO - Ogame.us
    SMOD - Ogame.se
  • Bottom line it seems that an email communication from GF to players should have occurred. We know they email us with servers opening and notices of newsletters with relative frequency. An email briefly stating their awareness of the situation would possibly avoided the feeling of disrespect for privacy.
    Something like this:

    -There was a data breech of the Boards.
    -No passwords were taken.
    -No financial info was taken.
    -Your email address and IP were taken.
    -We are closing the Boards while we investigate.

    That would have avoided a lot of issues.
  • a very poor statement. We shouldve gotten an email explaining the breach and that they were investigating/fixing it currently, maybe explaining what has been released and its importance. Instead we get a half written post explaining nothing on a broken board and staff telling us to write a million tickets to our coma who has not addressed anything to the players directly.
    Thx DISASTER to this amazing sig! :evilgrin: :spiteful:
  • COMA made a public comment about the issue as well as instructed everyone to contact him through support. There has not been many people contacting support. Considering the legal aspect, I dont think we will see him commenting about this. Moving forward, I hope that he is available to engage with the com more.


    Board Admin/ GO - Ogame.us
    SMOD - Ogame.se
  • i asked you to write 1 ticket with your request or requests. not millions sera. lets not get carried away or misrepresent what i and others have said. the ticket is a direct link to them. it also shows GF what is being said officially. ranting on the board is easily ignored as flaming or what have you. you know this.

    the cold hard parrot truth..
  • sera cide wrote:

    our coma who has not addressed anything to the players directly.

    If I can borrow a phrase from Kevlar, to be fair, Grimnir replied to my post about deleting my board account on the board by telling me I would need to submit a ticket. I don't understand why he can't just delete it with the obvious intent I've expressed using my board account, so instead I have to expose another email first so that my game and board emails match. So I can't remove my info from GF without giving them my info to expose again. You know, you guys might be on to something here. :dash: He *is* addressing players directly though.
  • KeVLaR wrote:

    COMA made a public comment about the issue as well as instructed everyone to contact him through support. There has not been many people contacting support. Considering the legal aspect, I dont think we will see him commenting about this. Moving forward, I hope that he is available to engage with the com more.
    Considering the legal aspect of GDPR requiring the company that got hacked/misplaced data to contact the affected users, and not the other way around, he should be preparing a lengthy email detailing just what was leaked to be sent to everyone. Unless multi-million € fines are no big deal for Gameforge of course. It's clear whoever hacked GF is mad, if GF thinks that the hacker won't report this lack of information to the authorities, they're most likely mistaken.
  • @KeVLaR
    Writing tickets just isn't the way forward. As someone said, we are affected, GF has a duty to inform those affected and we are the ones that have to chase precious little coMa?
    In the .Org, the coMa there (piink) released a proper statement detailing the issue after the initial release.
    In here, the coMa releases a public statement (copy past text he was sent by someone from gf) and that was it.
    No engagement with the community whatsoever.

    You personally have been more of a community manager than him.
    Surely you started off a bit off, but you have definately step up to the task. Shame to see a paid employee can't even do the job he is paid to do.